Sunday, May 6, 2007

Music - The Poetry of Air

Music is what feelings sound like. It is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music. As I go down the memory lanes, brooding over the songs that have stirred my soul, there are countless of them. Some of them are so angelic, that they transport you to a different world. Some are so succinct and meanigful, that you empathize with the emotions and tend to associate with it.

How many times after listening to good music, you felt homesick for something you never had and never will have. Thats the power of music. Its love in the search of a word. Though it was a gargantuan task at hand, I managed to hand-pick some of the first rated songs that have influenced me big time -

Itni Shakti humein de na data - This is from the movie Ankush and I heard this song when I was 10 yrs old. And I wanted to listen it everyday. It inspires me when I feel lonely and isolated. There are instances in life when you are flummoxed by the intricacies in life, and everything seems futile. At this point of time, I murmur this prayer, hum its tune.

Aane wala pal jaane wala hai - You must have seen the movie countless times, as it tickles your funny bone with its sheer simplicity and some sterling performances from all time greats. The song inspires you to live every moment in life, write it in your heart. It injects life into a fused life, and beckons you to unlearn the past and live in the present. Each moment in time we have it all, even when we think we don't.

Tujhse Naraaz nahi Zindagi - This one has a soulful tune beautifully rendered by anoop ghoshal. Again the highlight of this touching song apart from the tune is its lyrics by gulzar..

I love this -

जीने के लिए सोचा ही नहीं ,
दर्द संभालने होंगे
मुस्कुराऊँ तो, मुस्कुराने के कर्ज़ उतारने होंगे,
मुस्कुराऊँ कभी तो लगता है ,
जैसे होंटो पे कर्ज़ रखा है
तुझसे ...

Aazadi - This list cannot be complete without a Rehman rendition. He is an ageless wonder ! This is from the movie - Bose the forgotten hero - an inspirational number about India craving for independence. Rehman has himself rendered this song with rising gusto, aplomb and much required punch. You can almost hear the ache and pain of the homesick statesman in every word of the song.

Jeevan se bhari teri aankhein (Safar) - Eyes talk the language of love. The song is a tribute to the beauty of a woman and has some astounding lyrics.Beauty is when you look into a woman's eyes and see what's in her heart.

Tell them dear, that if eyes were made for seeing,
Then beauty is its own excuse for being


~Ralph Waldo Emerson

Stopping the flow of music is like stopping of time itself. Incredible and inconceivable. I cannot imagine a life devoid of music.

Do tell me which one is your personal favourite through the ageless journey of music in this world which has left people captivated and spell bound.

4 comments:

ShootingStar said...

very well written....aap poet ban gaye :)

Shallu Goyal said...

Hey Amit...very nicely framed...tujhse naraaz nahi zindagi this song is just awesome...one of my personal fav..just stirs ur soul...seems like someone has written essence of whole life in few lines...

Meenakshi said...

It's true some songs touch your, you feel your own life flowing in those lines..

One of my Favs is "UN-BREAK MY HEART" Toni Braxton

Un-break my heart
Say you'll love me again
Undo this hurt you caused
When you walked out the door
And walked outta my life
Un-cry these tears
I cried so many nights
Un-break my heart
My heart ....

Sa Re Ga Ma Pa said...

Hi,This is a very good blog..I agree with you, many songs have the capacity to influence us with the emotions they carry.Here are few such examples which are my personal favourites.

1) Tanhaayii from the movie DCH
2) Nasha ye pyaar ka nasha hai
3) Dile ne tumko chun liya hai..
4) Vande mataram by AR Rehman
5) Chalte Chalte mere ye geet yaad rakhna...

List goes on and on...